UK Ancestry Visa
If one of your grandparents was born in the UK and you are a citizen of a Commonwealth country you may be able to apply for a Visa. This visa is granted for 5 years and it allows you to live and work in the UK, after 5 years you can apply to extend the visa or apply for permanent settlement in the UK.
You will need to prove that your grandparent was born in UK and that you are able to and willing to work in the UK. The applicant need only to show that they are genuinely intending to look for work, they don’t need to have a job offer in place.
Our specialist immigration lawyer will work with you to obtain your UK Ancestry Visa. We will help you in sourcing family documents that prove your British heritage and can be used as evidence for your application.Call us on 0121 285 5121 now or request a call back to speak with an expert advisor.
UK Ancestry Visa-FAQ
An applicant must meet the following requirements for an Ancestry Visa:
You must prove that you:
- Are aged over 17
- Can maintain and accommodate yourself and any dependents without recourse to public funds are able and plan to work in the UK
In terms of your ancestry you must show you have a grandparent that was:
- Born in the UK, including the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man
- Born in the Republic of Ireland before 31 March 1922
- Born on a British-registered ship or aircraft
UK ancestry can also be claimed even if you or your relevant parent were adopted, however it can’t be claimed through step parents
With an Ancestry Visa you are allowed to work and study in the UK, but are not allowed to claim any benefits or switch to a UK Ancestry Visa from another visa. You can also apply for close family members to join you in the UK, these can be a partner, a child under 18, or a dependent child over 18.
The earliest you can apply for a UK Ancestry Visa is 3 months before your intended travel date.A decision on your visa is normally given within 3 weeks from the date you apply.
What can 121 Immigration Lawyers do for you?
For a UK Ancestry Visa documentary evidence has to be provided to prove your British Heritage. Our immigration lawyers can help you with the Ancestry Visa application process and ensure you have the best possible chance of success. We can help by:
- Discussing the options that are available to you and ensuring this is the most appropriate application for you.
- Advising you about the requirements and the relevant documents that are required for the application.
- Reviewing the documents to ensure they are satisfactory for the application.
- Ensuring you provide sufficient evidence to prove your British Heritage
- Provide a detailed letter of representation, which will outline how you meet the requirements of the Ancestry Visa, with reference to the relevant UK Immigration Laws
- Completing and submitting the relevant application form on your behalf.
- Advising you the timescale and liaising with the home office until a decision is made.