General Visa (Tier 2)

Tier 2 General Work Visa

Call us on 0121 285 5121 to

discuss how our Specialist Immigration Lawyer can help you with your Tier 2 General Work Visa.

Tier 2 General Work Visa

You can apply for a Tier 2 General Work Visa if you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland and you’ve been offered a skilled job in the UK.

You need to be employed by a business that has a Tier 2 Sponsor Licence in place. This enables the employer to issue worker authorizations in the form of Certificates of Sponsorship to workers who are not EU citizens. The workers then use the Certificates of Sponsorship to apply for their UK visa. The Tier 2 General work is initially issued for a period of time given on the Certificate of Sponsorship plus 1 month, up to a maximum of 5 years and two weeks.

You must be paid an appropriate salary for the job, currently the minimum threshold is £30,000 per year, but if there is a higher salary threshold set by the Home Office for the particular job they must be paid at or above that amount.

There are some additional requirements that a Tier 2 General Work Visa applicant must meet. Our expert immigration lawyer has detailed knowledge and experience of Tier 2 General Work Visa applications and can help you in meeting the requirements and making a successful application to start working in the UK.Call us on 0121 285 5121  now or request a call back to speak with an expert advisor.

Request FREE Consultation

Fill the form below to request a call back

Tier 2 General Work Visa-FAQ

You may be able to extend your Tier 2 General Work Visa up to an additional 5 years, however your total stay on this visa cannot be more than 6 years. After 5 years of residence in the UK provided you meet the requirements you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain.

You must meet the following requirements to extend the visa:

  • You are still in the same role as when you were issued your previous visa to enter or remain in the UK.
  • You are still employed by the same employer, who issued you a certificate of sponsorship.

You will continue be paid the appropriate salary for your job

Family members from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland can come with you if you are coming to the UK on a Tier 4 General Work Visa. Family members that can come with you from outside the UK include your husband, wife, partner or children under 18. They will need to apply online for a visa and as part of the application, have their fingerprints and photograph taken at a visa application center to get a bio metric residence permit when they arrive in the UK.

You can apply to switch into a Tier 2 General Work Visa from inside the UK if you are on one of the following visas.

  • Tier 1 Visa
  • Tier 2 (Sportsperson) Visa
  • Tier 2 (Minister of religion) Visa
  • Tier 4 Student Visa
  • Dependent partner of a Tier 4 student.
  • Representative of an Overseas Business.

For Tier 4 Student Visa, there are additional conditions that need to be met. Speak to one of expert advisers if you considering switching to a Tier 4 General Work Visa.

What can 121 Immigration Lawyers do for you?

As you have to provide sufficient evidence to the Home Office for the reason of your travel to the UK, applying for a Standard Visitor Visa can be quite complex. Our immigration lawyers can help you through the application process and ensure you have the best possible chance of success.

  • Discussing the options that are available to you and ensuring this is the most appropriate application for you.
  • Advising you about the requirements and the relevant documents that are required for the application.
  • Confirming the employer has a valid Tier 2 sponsor License
  • Reviewing the documents to ensure they are satisfactory for the application.
  • Provide a detailed letter of representation, which will outline how you meet the requirements of the Tier 2 General Work Visa, with reference to the relevant UK Immigration Laws
  • Completing and submitting the relevant application form on your behalf.
  • Advising you the timescale and liaising with the home office until a decision is made.

Call us on 0121 285 5121 or request a call back to see how we can help with your application for a Tier 2 General Work Visa.


121 immigration lawyers
Get In Touch
Call Us on 0121 285 5121 or

Latest Media

Contact Us
If you need immigration advice, contact us and one of our experts will get back to you as soon as possible.